New features for out-of-browser application development
This beta release includes the AIR 3 SDK to enable mobile and desktop application development and provides access to the AIR 3 runtime for Windows and Mac only. For mobile Android application development, developers can utilize the new captive runtime feature supported in the AIR 3 SDK which does not require that the AIR 3 runtime be installed in order to run an application. This feature previously existed for iOS applications. All AIR 3 beta mobile applications will include a watermark to ensure AIR 3 apps are not mistaken as production ready.
Key Features and Benefits of AIR 3 Beta
- Stage Video Hardware Acceleration (AIR for mobile) — You can now leverage hardware acceleration of the entire video pipeline for best-in-class high-definition (HD) video playback experiences on mobile devices. Reduce processor and memory usage and enable smoother video, and higher fidelity (released previously in Flash Player and AIR for TV).
- Captive Runtime Support (AIR for desktop and Android) — This popular feature from AIR for iOS is now available for the desktop and Android device. Developers now have more control over the use experience with this new packaging option. Simplify the app installation process by packaging the AIR runtime with your app on Windows, Mac, and Android. Developers can now control exactly which version of the runtime an app executes against. Deploy AIR application in tamper proof /hardened operating environments (e.g. medical diagnostic equipment, government, military).
- iOS Background Audio Playback Support — Developers can now write multitasking iOS applications that can play audio while in the background, including music or voice chat from a conferencing application.
- Android Licensing Service Support — Provides developers access to the Android Market Licensing Service which lets publishers enforce licensing policies for paid applications that they publish through Android Market.
- Android Front-facing Camera Support — The front-facing camera support available with AIR for iOS and BlackBerry Tablet OS is now available on Android devices. Take advantage of the front-facing camera to connect users with rich video conferencing and chat experiences.
- Encrypted Local Storage for Mobile — Extends encrypted local storage support to mobile devices. Allows applications to more securely store sensitive data on a user’s device, enabling support for storage of sensitive data such as passwords, certificates, and auditing information.
- H.264/AVC Software Encoding for Cameras (desktop) — Stream beautiful video from your computer’s camera with higher compression efficiency and industry-wide support, enabling both high quality real-time communications (e.g., video chat and video conferencing) and live video broadcasts.
To learn more about additional features available in this release, please see the release notes.